1. “Hans Jaeger was saying ‘write your own life, this is the material,’- Munch had abundant material for an art that was emotionally charged.”
2. “Art should be emotionally charged, otherwise it is a photography. An artist’s spiritual experience is doomed to be shared by a viewer.”
3. "Great poets and painters are seldom understood at first, seldom honoured. They can be glad if they are not shown the door and politely thrown out, like Mr. Munch..."
4. “The art market nowadays is considered to be a good investment with possible earnings far in excess of usual financial instruments with modernistic art Speaking points. Comment on the following quotations. being the most expensive. But its attraction is purely financial.”
5. “What appeals to us in modernistic art? Well … it is a fashion nowadays, isn’t it?”
|Superstitions - Part 1|
1 Look through theNOTESand watch the Episode “Superstitions - Part 1”.(Мультимедийный каталог 1556→Unit 10)
The Last Supper -the meal eaten by Christ with his disciples on the night before his Crucifixion; Тайная вечеря (последняя совместная трапеза Христа и апостолов)
Absenteeism – the high rate of absence where regular attendance is expected
Incantation – the speaking or singing of certain words for the purpose of raising spirits or performing magical actions.
‘Mojo’ - magical power with its magical spell, acts Speaking points. Comment on the following quotations., or charm. Widely believed in among sportsmen.
Thespian – (of or pertaining to Thespis, a Greek tragic poet and the traditional founder of Greek tragedy) a tragedian, an actor or actress.
a coven - a group or meeting of witches
Pandora -the first woman, made out of earth by the gods. Given a box (Pandora’s box) that she was forbidden to open, she disobeyed out of curiosity and released from it all the ills;
2 Check you know the meanings of the words and phrases given in the box, make use of them when covering the information provided in the episode:
Teachers’ Notes Speaking points. Comment on the following quotations.: Choose any of the items for scripting as a home assignment.
1. An ancient and a modern men have a lot of superstitions in common.
|to fend off far from to squelch smth trouble spots a rational creature to exhibit a behavior federal case|
fend off- to defend yourself against an attack; squelch – American informal to stop someone or something that is causing you trouble, especially by taking firm action against them; to make federal case out of smth -
раздувать дело, делать из мухи слона;
2. Unlucky numbers.
|to trace to to stand from optimal size to total 13 to Speaking points. Comment on the following quotations. heighten the anxiety to be associated with a conjunction of to consider smth troublesome estimates reduced commerce absenteeism related to a homonym|
to total – to amount; conjunction - simultaneous occurrence of events; coincidence; estimates - an approximate calculation; absenteeism – the high rate of absence where regular attendance is expected; homonym - one of a group of words pronounced or spelt in the same way but having different meanings; punthe use of words or phrases to exploit ambiguities and in their meaning, usually for humorous effect; a play on words.
3. Superstitions in the theatre.
|fair share of Pandora’s Box a public event Speaking points. Comment on the following quotations. the Scottish play to bring bad luck on to reverse the bad luck the standard cure to date back to creepy things an evil spell to do an incantation to be fascinated by to conjure up a spell-binding image|
Pandora -the first woman, made out of earth by the gods. Given a box (Pandora’s box) that she was forbidden to open, she disobeyed out of curiosity and released from it all the ills; creepy - having or causing a sensation;Incantation – the speaking or singing of certain words for the purpose of raising spirits or performing magical actions; заклинание Speaking points. Comment on the following quotations.; conjure up - to make something appear using magic powers; spellbinding - so interesting that it holds your attention completely
4. Sports and superstitions.
|in the realm of to resort to to ensure success to alleviate the pressure to drop to to concentrate on the wrapper from to peel the foil off|
alleviate - to make something less painful, severe, or serious: to alleviate the pressure; foil - metal in the form of very thin sheets